Sunday, May 9, 2010

Making A List..... And Checking It Twice

Tomorrow, the fate of this country will be decided by every Filipino eligible to vote. And tomorrow, history too will be made since it will be the nation's first automation poll. I can't deny the fact that I am excited since I will be a part of this great event and likewise a bit anxious since automation is a new thing for us. We certainly have no past experience about it and our authorities have no expertise to brag when it comes to this process. I know that as of this moment, a lot of Filipinos have questions too hovering in their heads like me. What if this election will be sabotaged by groups whose main agenda is to spread havoc and terror? Is it really possible for the system used in this automation to be hacked and thus cheating too? Are the people running the technical side of this forthcoming election, such as the PCOS technicians, members of the board of election, watchers and others, equipped enough with the knowledge on poll automation? Does the COMELEC has any back up or contingency plan when problems arise? Was the time spent to educate voters particularly those who are computer illiterate enough for them to understand the process of this brand new way of voting? So on and so forth. Here I am again, ranting like a paranoid. As I've said, poll automation is a new thing for us and fear is the dread for the unknown. We don't know what will be the outcome for tomorrow but then again, automation is the risk worth taking. A gamble we need to undertake if we wantto move forward to progress.

Poll automation, if become successful, can revolutionize the election process and create a drastic change in the way we elect our future leaders. First world countries such as the US are reaping the benefits of poll automation since it speeds up the election process and minimized or eradicate the possibility of cheating. Although I am praying that my chosen candidates will lead the race tomorrow, I am more fervent in praying that tomorrow's election will be a success. I am crossing my fingers to that but not after I make a list (and checking it twice) for the names I'll be shading the day after today.

Vote wisely!

No comments: