Friday, January 22, 2010

Concepcion and Delivery

I went to Concepcion, Iloilo for 4 days just this week for my delivery room assignment in their rural health unit's birthing center and the experience was great. From Iloilo City, I think it took me and my 5 classmates 2 or 3 hours travelling on a bus towards our destination. I love travelling to the northern part of Iloilo province since you would be able to see the coastal area on the right side and the plains and mountains on the left. It felt so liberating just looking outside the bus' window.

The municipality of Concepcion was a rural type of town. Farming and fishing were the main industries of the locals there. What I liked about the place was that the folks were warm and congenial. We were heading to our quarters after our arrival at their bus terminal when two natives I met along the way flashed me with a friendly smile. I think I'll enjoy my stay here, I said to myself.

When we reported to the town's rural health unit, we were introduced to the RHU staff by our clinical instructor, Sir Andrew, and they welcomed us with sincere smiles. Dr. Minguez was the rural health physician and she was a simple yet graceful woman in her early forties if I'm not mistaken. We then took a tour around the RHU building including its birthing facility which was just a small structure constructed at the right side of the main RHU building. There, we stationed the first three of us until evening.

Despite its reputation as a "living university of family planning" in the country because of its successful programs in reproductive health and population control, we still got nine cases of successful deliveries all in all in our 4 days of stay there. Maybe we were just lucky or maybe we just prayed too much because we badly needed the cases in order for us to complete our number of scrubs required for us to be able to graduate and take the board exam. Although giving birth is a messy and painful process, we really enjoyed our duty there. Giving life is a great miracle and assisting a mother in labor and in giving birth is a wonderful experience. My clinical exposure in Concepcion made me feel that I was a part of those miracles. It overshadowed my need to complete my scrubs because of the sense of fulfillment. The fulfillment of being a part of this great circle called LIFE.

No comments: