Tuesday, January 8, 2013

PLANKTON OF NURSING?

The arena is full. It is already crammed with bloody gladiators with some already reaching the level of "expert blood lusts". Neophytes like me may likely get killed before we begin the battle for survival. Some have survived long enough but they are still until now considered as neophytes. Sacrificial pawns in the game of chess. Floating plankton at the very bottom of the food chain. Volunteers  caring for the number of patients beyond their capacity. Exploited to the point of exhaustion. A very sad scene. This is the arena of the Philippine nursing.

The number of nurses here in our country have already exceeded the demand which resulted to unemployment. This phenomena have occurred because of the the hype way back in which first world countries were having a shortage of nurses thus they resorted to employ Filipino nurses to fill the void. But after some countries regulated their hiring of Filipino nurses because of the worldwide recession, the result is an overwhelming backlog. At present, nurses have proliferated every single corner of our country. There is one for every crowd. One for every purok or barangay. It even became a joke in the nursing profession that with the number of nurses we have right now, the Philippines must be the safest country in the whole world.

With this sad scenario, as a registered nurse in this country it might not be a surprise if I will consider a new path to tread. A new stage where I can shine and capture the attention of the audience. A new industry where I can be a best-seller. A green pasture where the herds are few. Yes, I love nursing but loving something that is elusive is a tiring endeavor especially now that I am no longer getting younger (although my heart still is! he he he...). This year I might set my focus on a new career. Although I am still not 100% sure about it yet because "first love never dies" as the saying goes but I am considering that option. This is the beauty of life ---- endless options, endless possibilities. Way back I took up nursing because I want to serve humanity and at the same time get rich. But now, I guess I have to serve humanity and get wealthy in a different way. Through social work maybe? Hmmm... Maybe. Or it could be the other way around. But one thing is for sure, I will try my very best not to be one of the plankton of the nursing profession although by heart, I am still a nurse. Ready to serve and to care.

Mayad nga adlaw! =)

No comments: