Wednesday, January 23, 2013

STEPHEN KING'S FIFTH SHORT STORIES COLLECTION: JUST AFTER SUNSET

One of the things I promised to do this year is to read a lot. That means twice or thrice more than I did last year which was one or two books per month. So I started 2013 with Stephen King's new volume of short stories which is collectively called as Just After Sunset. It's been a long time since I have read a short story and I guess it is time that I should acquaint again myself with this form of storytelling. A short story, as the name implies, is a short form of literature which is usually written in prose and focuses on a limited number of incidents with limited number of characters as possible. In my own opinion, the techniques used in writing a short story is similar to that of writing a novel but the challenge is that the author must conjure an effect or mood to the readers by using not more than 20,000 words (although there is no such clear parameter for the number of words that a short story must contain), or with just a few turning of the pages, or in just one sitting. I guess the best examples for a short story genre are Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat and Nick Joaquin's The Summer Solstice which are immortal classics and happen to be one of my favorites.

Back on King's Just After Sunset, I think the collection is a zigzag of literary accomplishments. There are stories that could bring an ordinary reader like me to the higher point and there are some that can drag you at the bottom. Not to mention some that are in between. Let me start with the stories that pulled me to the bottom of the zigzag line. The ones that I find dull and boring. First was Harvey's Dream which in my opinion was probably written by King during his lazy moments. As what he had told us in the book's end notes, he just wrote it in a single sitting and merely "little more than transcribing the tale his subconscious had already told" (because the idea of the story, according to him, came to him in a dream). Well my conjecture is that his subconscious was also sluggish during that time when the dream manifested no wonder it's lackluster. The story, Rest Stop, was also a yawn for me. Maybe because I find nosing on other people's business quite annoying. And that I detest the abused woman's trying to defend her abusive husband. And maybe because I have no such "alter ego" (or maybe I have not known him yet) for me to able to relate with the protagonist. But if the story will happen in real life to me, who knows? I might get interested. Another story, titled Graduation Afternoon, was one of those trivial works that King can write while having a piss. The story of a city melting down under a nuclear explosion is already over used in any form of entertainment medium that I don't really give a damn if the radiation will rot my brain. Next please! Now the last two stories which I will put in this category without thinking twice are The New York Times at Special Bargain Rates and Ayana. The former is just a rehash of the theme of the first story in the collection entitled Willa. King's description of after life's transitional place as that akin to a train station is nothing new since other authors have already used that metaphor. Example for this is Rowling's Harry Potter in which the deceased Dumbledore had a conversation with Harry in a place which is more like a train station during Harry's near death experience. Ayana on the other hand had projected images in my mutated brain which I totally forgot after I sneezed. The only thing worth remembering about the story is the irony that after the narrator's father was healed of cancer by a black sick girl who trespassed his house and impertinently planted a kiss on his father's cheek (again without permission), the narrator's dad had died eventually several years later after enjoying his extended life when a chunk of meat had stuck on his throat and cut his oxygen supply. And since I remembered this image, maybe Ayana wasn't a story to be forgotten after all. But I still find it pretty boring.

Now the stories in the collection that are passable enough, stories that will do when you have nothing else to do, are Willa, Stationary Bike,  and The Things They Left Behind. In Willa, the ghosts were once again trapped in a train station which would have me proceed to the next story had not for the little romance that King added in it which the hopeless romantic in me had bought it without further hesitation. Romance is indeed an overrated thing but still a commodity of great value and I know a lot will agree with me on that. The story Stationary Bike can be an inspiring story to those who need to shed off their extra adipose tissue. And I really don't know why the story has no appeal on me. I can make a few guesses though. Maybe because I love to eat. And maybe because I hate exercise. Lastly, maybe because I really really hate exercise (evil grin!!!). The last thing in this "in between" category is The Things They Left Behind which, according to King, was his way of exploring the impact of the 9/11 tragedy in his life. I don't want to be insensitive here because I know that the 9/11 event was one of the most horrifying acts of terrorism that ever happened in the history of the United States, but the thing is, I am still ignorant about the tragedy. And when I say ignorant, I am not saying that I do not know the facts, what I'm trying to say is that I cannot empathetically connect with the tragedy. The reason for this, as whispered by the voice at the back of my mind, is that I haven't yet explored the terrors that plucked my own country thus it is also futile to explore the terrors of others. Maybe years from now, who knows I may have a different view about this story.

We have been to the depressed points of the zigzag and likewise to the lines in between the points, now let us go to the peak ones: the stories that troubled my imagination, pounded my head, gave me tachycardia and several sleepless nights (blame it on the nightmares!). The main course of the meal! First stop is The Gingerbread Girl. Oh those adhesive tapes, I could hear them making the zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzttt! The window jump scene? Not new but still yummy. And of course the lunatic and his knife making a cut at the protagonist's lower eyelid while mumbling those nasty, lunatic words. A treat indeed for fans! At the middle of the story, all I could say (this I did inside my mind or else someone might call me a lunatic) was Run Emily! Run! But then again the protagonist in the story is a runner so I might just as well shut my brain's mouth. I know this kind of plot is already over-used (I Know What You Did Last Summer suddenly popped out of mind while writing this) but we still buy it because in real life, we are always on the run, chased by something. The next story in the "peak point" category which is I think the stand-out among the collection is titled N. Here, King tackled about OCD and the fear we have of the things beyond our understanding. What I love about this story is how the way King attack his readers' minds by slowly building up the mystery and then bang! Shot you with bullets of disturbing images! With this story, readers might ponder whether the things we fear really do exist or just the fabrication of our minds who happen to get cross beyond the walls sanity. Is there really other realities beside our's waiting to spill out into the one we now? What kind of horror does these other realities possess if ever they do exist? N. I must say is the short story version of Bram Stoker's Dracula and Mary Shelley's Frankenstein in which the story is unfold through the letters (or journals) of the main characters. After reading it, I couldn't help but to count the pillows I have in my bed. I have 4. And 4 is a safe number. But I still got nightmares afterwards. The Cat from Hell is a Stephen King classic which for the first time is included in a collection. Is there really such a thing as a cat bred out of pure malice? This question I asked myself after reading the story. Well I really don't know but the idea of a cute and seemingly-innocent looking killer cat is I guess brilliant. If only I could employ a cat like that to gnaw the innards of those persons I loathed. But then again, I have my allergic rhinitis and for sure a demonic cat will always consider its owner's innards to gnaw as a past time. On the other hand, the story titled Mute got me shock for a second or so after the twist was revealed at the latter part. Damn, it was like having a therapist and a hit-man in one! I don't think that the narrator has the slightest regret that he told everything to the mute and seemingly deaf (but actually not) hitchhiker. At least he doesn't have to stain his hands with the blood of his adulterous wife. I'm sure that deep in his heart he was laughing like a devil at the death of his wife and her "cowboy" lover. And the confession? Well at some point in our lives we all need absolution to appease our conscience. We all need redemption in the end. And speaking of redemption, thank goodness that Curtis Johnson has finally redeem himself from the filth of the portable toilet he was imprisoned in! Imagine being trapped inside a portable toilet that was tipped over and with all those unbearable smell and oozing muck coming from the toilet bowl?! Still couldn't?  Then read A Very Tight Place because King will supply you all the gross adjectives and adverbs. What I love about the story is that it is both scary and funny. And it tackles the human instinct to survive even in the midst of hopelessness. And of course I love the "pay-back time" part especially the scene when Curtis threw the unplugged hair-dryer to Tim while the latter was soaked in the bath tub that resulted to Tim screaming like a scared cat thinking that the appliance was still plugged in to the electric socket. Of course, Curtis owes his resurrection from the stinky portable toilet a little to his being a gay witch and a huge part to his dog Betsy. May she rest in peace after dying from electrocution.

And so that's it for now. I cannot say that this is the best short stories collection by King but it is worth the read. I highly recommend the collection especially to those who want to read a brief story before going to bed. Maybe just to make you fall asleep or just to give yourself a little scare. But I warn the curious readers that there are some parts of the collection that will make keep you awake all night. And then you will start counting sheep. Just make it sure that you end with an even number. Okay?  =))

No comments: