Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Poetry In Action

I had my completion duty this morning in the delivery room. It is called completion duty because it is a special scheduled duty, that means that it is not included in the regular rotation schedule our clinical coordinator gives us student nurses. Since I don't have any assignment in the delivery room this semester and graduation is fast approaching (and my delivery scrubs, 15 cases are needed, are not yet complete), I have no choice but to have my completion duty. Of course, to have a special schedule in the delivery room, we student nurses must pay. Two thousand pesos per day and we usually divide it into three since three students are needed per delivery cases for the assist, handle, and baby or cord care. Quite expensive but we have no choice because we really want to graduate this March 2010.

Having my duty in the delivery room is always been an adrenaline rush to me and likewise a wonder. Adrenaline rush because from the start of full crowning, that means that the baby's head is already bulging in the cervix, up to the complete expulsion of the baby, every tick of the clock is always an action, from monitoring to assiting the mother, just to ensure the safety of both mother and child. Birthing is also a wonder to me because it makes me ponder how life is created, the process of it is truly a miracle. It makes me appreciate the pain (the episiotomy and sometimes the laceration... ouch!) and sacrifices of mothers, especially of my mom.

One thing I like about the institution where I had my delivery scrubs is the policy of having the baby contact with the mother's skin for at least one hour. The rationale according to my clinical instructor is to establish a loving maternal-child rapport and for the baby to adapt faster to its new environment. Oh the smile of the mothers upon holding their babies close to their bossom. Truly a beautiful sight.

Well we had two delivery cases this morning and I'm happy because at least we went home not being zero. I thank God for giving me the opportunity to witness and participate in birthing cases. For me, birthing is like a poetry that is unique because it combines the beauty of agony, happiness, and ordinary miracle of life. From the wail of a sweating suffering delivering woman to the graceful movement of the baby during the mechanisms of labor up to its very first cry, everything in birthing is indeed a poetry in action.

Labor is not easy, it's painful, messy, and sometimes embarassing knowing that you are exposing your genitalia to the world. That's why I salute all the mothers out there. Hats off.

No comments: