Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Of "Lottophobia", Pinworms, Mumps, and Embalmers


Last last Saturday (that was February 09), I had the most mentally draining activity to date ---- I took my Assessment for Nursing Potential Examination. This exam is given to incoming third year students in our school (University of Iloilo) to test if we are qualified, have accumulated enough knowledge essential to the nursing profession, and if we really have the inclination for the said profession. The exam is composed of three parts: the achievement test, the aptitude test, and the assessment test.

The first part of the examination, the achievement test, is designed to measure the knowledge which is of great importance to nursing the student has acquired in his two years of learning. The content of the test includes subjects like Psychology, Math, Chemistry, Physics, General Biology, Anatomy and Physiology, Microbiology, and English. The second part, the aptitude test, is an IQ checker. It is composed of abstract reasoning, numerical reasoning, and verbal reasoning and comprehension sub-tests. The last part, the assessment test, is a personality test that will help the Nursing Department of our school evaluate our inclination towards the nursing career if our attitude is really for the said profession. All these when summed together, made up a 350 items exam! And all these , you have to answer in a matter of 3 hours and 20 minutes! Whew!

I am no Einstein so my brain during that time was really squeezed and extracted to pulp! I almost had an epistaxis (nosebleed that is) especially when I reached the Math part which is mostly composed of College Algebra questions. I have a fear of numbers, I call it "lottophobia". Why the name? Well, simply because I always dread what numbers might come out every night during the lotto draw. I might not win. And up to now, I still don't.

Back on the topic, I am lucky I listened well to my teachers in Anatomy, Physiology, Microbilogy and Parasitology subjects. At least some information spilled out from their mouth came out in the test. Like, pinworms make us wiggle even if we have just one breakdancing in our perennial or anal area, and that severe mumps can lead to male sterility (which made me worry by the way 'cause I got two big humps on each side of my jaw when I was still in grade 3). There were some questions like, What disease is caused by a protozoa called Trypanosoma?, which I had doubt with my answers. Maybe these are the info my teachers spilled out during lectures when I was in my chair sleeping and drooling.

I have anxiety about the upcoming result of my ANP Exam. Will I pass or not? This is the daily thought inside my head that has now become a mantra....... and a torture. If I'll pass, a big THANK YOU to the BIG BOSS above! If not, tragedy! My dream of serving humanity (cheesy! cheesy!), and going to Europe will all crumble to dust. Well, come what may. Life is a gamble anyway. I'll just cross my fingers and hope for the better.......... and of course, prepare for the worst! An embalmer/funeral director would be a next good option ( I heard these people, the embalmers and funeral directors I mean, are having a good business lately since a lot of Filipinos are dying nowadays from crude overpricing, and cardiac arrest due to extreme rage on the hypocrisy of the people involved on the ZTE scandal ). Ha ha ha..... Ciao!

No comments: