Saturday, May 10, 2008

To Carmen

The moment that my life sparked it happened within your womb. You carried me inside your body for nine months, nurturing my development as my body started to take shape and become complex. You bear all the hardships of conception and likewise the excruciating pain of delivery but despite of those, you told me later on that you could not explain the happiness of seeing your firstborn. It was indescribable joy you said, feeling my warmth with your hands as you cradle me with your arms.

You witnessed most of all the "firsts" in my life. My first cry, smile, and laugh. My first step, walk, and fall. My first tooth and my first word which was "nana". You were the first person to whom I showed my first perfect score in a test during my kindergarten year. Likewise you were the first one who saw my first zero score in a quiz during my schooling in grade 2 which I tried to conceal from you but you accidentally found it while tidying my school bag. You were also the first person to noticed my first pimple and then giggled that her son was already a soltero or a teenager. You were the first one to whom I confided my dreams and ambitions in life, of what I wanted to be. Same so with all my fears, disappointments, and frustrations. It was also you who first confronted me when the signs of depression manifested upon me and carried me through my recovery. You know that I can endlessly enumerate it all here, but all I really wanted to say was thank you for always being there for me.

The connection we have established is too strong that only death can break it. What is more wonderful is that you turned out not just a mother to me but a sister and a best friend as well. Thank you for bearing the perils, pains, and hardships of raising me and likewise my four younger brothers. You said it was a bliss, but we know that often times you were hurt especially when you took the responsibility alone of raising us when Tatay died and most of our kins deserted you. You are really a woman of strength and we your sons admire you greatly.

What I am now is mostly because of you. You are my driving force and my inspiration ever since I was a child. Thank you for making me and my brothers a better persons. We love you more than you have ever known. You are the wind beneath our wings and we thank God for having a wonderful mother like you. I and my brothers could not ask for more. HAPPY MOTHERS' DAY NANAY CARMEN!



-oOo-




Mama, mama you know I love you
Oh you know I love you
Mama, mama you're the queen of my heart
Your love is like
Tears from the stars
Mama, I just want you to know
Lovin' you is like food to my soul

- A Song For Mama
by Boyz II Men (1997)

No comments: