Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The Reverse Effect














Last December 20, I went to Brgy. Tanao, Batad together with my fellow UICN-CES volunteers for our medical mission and gift giving activities. I decided to go there despite of the gloomy weather and the almost 3-hours travel for the "grand humanitarian purpose" that I will be able to touch and change other people's lives for the better. You know, the "hero thing" (and I have found out that we could! That is, if we will just do it).














When we reached our place of destination, I was very excited to start as soon as possible our first activity that I was able to consume 4 cups of chicken vermicelli soup and 6 pieces of pan de leche which was served to us by the locals there. I didn't even mind my tiredness from the three hours of travel! The warmth and congeniality of the people of Brgy. Tanao and the beautiful landscape of the place which was hilly on the other side and the sea and an island on the other (the island is still a part of the barangay) was enough to erase my fatigue.














And so the activity started. On that afternoon, the locals of Brgy. Tanao, especially the indigents, coming from the different far flanged sitios arrived. I could see that some of the indigents could not afford to buy at least cheap decent clothes basing on the faded and tattered clothes they wore. Some even walked the muddy road in going to the barangay's plaza where our gift giving program was held barefooted. A realization dawned upon me during that time that I am indeed far more blessed compared to these people. And it also made me feel guilty why I always complained of some petty things like not having a load for my cellphone or not having been into the cinema and watch a blockbuster movie for almost three months. Why am I giving importance to these irrelevants things when a lot of people doesn't even have a scoop of rice to eat? I suddenly asked myself indignantly.


















During our gift giving, most of the recipients wore a big smile on their faces. Others even danced out of sheer joy upon receiving their packages. A few cried out of gratitude. The scene was very touching that it suddenly changed my perspectives in life.


















On the second day of our stay there, we had our medical mission. The situation was still the same as that of the first day, people flooded hoping that they could avail of the free medical check up and likewise medicines for their illnesses. Everybody was wishing to be called first for the free check up afraid that they might not be called until the doctors will leave in the afternoon. Such an overwhelming effect of poverty I must say. Very saddening.














My trip to Brgy. Tanao, Batad was life-changing on my part. I went there on the purpose, as what I have stated earlier, to touch other people's lives. But in my stay there, something I didn't expect happened to me. That is, the people there touched my life also in a grand scale. The Batad exprience taught me that life is meaningless unless you share it with others. I never knew that a reverse effect would take place while I was there! I was..... amazed.
















-oOo-

P.S. Oh by the way, I really enjoyed our caroling moments there...














...and I miss the linugaw...


















... and of course the gang!















God Bless!

1 comment:

Cee said...

im glad u had a good experience RomZ!

well, more CES experiences to come im afraid! hehehe!